An introduction to 10 Key Insights from McGilchrist's "The Master & His Emissary", and 3 (or seven) practical tips for how to become more aware of the hemispheres, and rebalance the brain.
10 key insights
- We have "Two brains". One can even split them, by cutting off the Corpus Callosum, and the person still functions largely fully normal.
- One brain is for focus and manipulation, and one brain is for the overview, letting it all flow in.
- The focused and systematic brain is supposed to be embedded in the more overall brain, over time.
- When the systematic brain rules, it cuts off the other brain.
- The focused brain (Left Hemisphere) is blind to everything it doesn't know, and often reacts with aggression and anger.
- Relationships to people, to nature, and to the Divine is all in the Right Hemisphere.
- The differences of the brain hemispheres are largely found through studies of strokes and brain damage.
- Reason is great, but, it tends to tilt towards LH dominance over time, thus dismissing everything it doesn't now.
- The tilt of the brain is a very slippery slope, and self-reinforcing through culture, architecture, and habits.
- We can rebalance the brain actively through good habits and awareness, which gives a richer experience of life, and a better ability to apprehend the world, understand the world and human nature, and make good choices long term. And for building better personal relationships, too.
On iTunes: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast....
And Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/5fN3r....
The 50 video clips are here:
Thanks for listening!